Pets can provide valuable love and support during our later years.
The reliable and unconditional companionship animals provide is so important to many people's lives thus viewing them as part of the family.
Pets have been shown to greatly increase quality of life for elderly people including:
- Reduced tension
- Reduced Fatigue
- Reduced Confusion
- Increased feelings of enthusiasm, interest and inspiration
- Creates possibilities for social contact
- Support when coping with grief
- Reduced feelings of isolation
- Improved well being
- Regular exercise
- Companionship and a sense of belonging
- Increased feelings of self-worth
- Overall improvement of general health
Many nursing homes and care facilities residents benefit when volunteers bring their animals in for a few hours as it lifts people's spirits.
The Power of Pets - The benefits of companion animal ownership -