This simple but effective picture outlines the foods we should be eating the most, eating in moderation and what we should eat in small amounts.
The pyramid represents food from the core food groups only. It shows meat, fish, chicken, eggs, nuts, bread, cereals, vegetables, legumes, fruit and milk.
Four important points outlined by Nutrition Australia are to:
- Minimise your fat intake
- Make sure you are getting your adequate daily fibre intake
- Limit salt your salt intake
- Make sure you are drinking a sufficient amount of water
- Use herbs and spices to add flavour to your meals
- Try using different food combinations
- Check out new recipes