As November is Healthy Lung Month the following tips can help you can remain healthier whilst living with COPD - http://www.lungfoundation.com.au/:
1. If you're a smoker, of course the most important thing you can do is to stop smoking. These are other things you can do:
• Stay away from smoke, fumes, dust, and air pollution as much as you can
• Take your medication exactly as your doctor prescribes it
• See your doctor regularly - at least two times a year
• Learn breathing exercises
• Walk or do other light exercises several times a week
• Eat healthy foods
2. Why is good nutrition so important
It goes without saying that good nutrition is important for everyone. If you have COPD, a balanced diet can give you more energy and improve your health. People with COPD require more calories than that of a healthy person. That's because it can takes much more energy just to breathe when you have the disease.
3. What steps to take to conserve energy when I have COPD?
There are many things you can do:
• Put things you use most often in an easy-to-reach place
• Use a small cart on wheels to move things around
• Wear clothes and shoes that are easy to put on and take off
• Do certain tasks sitting down
• Take regular rest breaks
• Ask family and friends for help
When should I call for help?
You should call 000 right away if:
• You can't walk or talk.
• Your heart beats very fast or it has an irregular beat.
• Your lips or fingernails turn blue.
• You breathe fast and hard, even when on medicines.
To download booklet http://www.lungfoundation.com.au/lung-information/patient-educational-material/better-living-with-copd-a-patient-guide
This info is thanks to Wed MD - http://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/10-faqs-about-living-with-copd?page=2